Saturday, April 4, 2009

MIAMI: VIKA SHINES, TOPS 5-TIME AND DEFENDING CHAMP SERENA IN STRAIGHTS

Miami, Women's Final: Azarenka d. S. Williams 6-3, 6-1.



Quotes from an elated Victoria Azarenka on the court in a post-match interview…

“IT'S THE BIGGEST MOMENT OF MY CAREER RIGHT NOW AND I’M JUST…I’M JUST NOT HERE RIGHT NOW… I’M IN SOME PLACE WHERE (NERVOUS GIGGLE THEN PAUSE)…AN UNBELIEVABLE PLACE…”

“IT’S THE BIGGEST WIN OF MY CAREER SO FAR…AND THE HIGHEST RANKING… WHAT COULD POSSIBLY BE BETTER?…I JUST WANT TO WORK THE SAME WAY AND KEEP GOING LIKE THIS. (SPEECH CHARACTERIZED BY EXUBERANCE AND YOUTHFUL JOY) ”

“I DON'T KNOW THEY JUST SAID ‘VIKA JUST GO AND PLAY, YOU CAN DO IT, JUST GO AND PLAY AND ENJOY... AND THAT’S WHAT I DID... (SPEECH CHARACTERIZED BY GIDDINESS, JOY - THE VOICE OF COMPLETE AND UTTER JOY.) I JUST WENT I ENJOYED AND I BELIEVED IN MYSELF FOR EVERY POINT.”

Bandage on her leg or no bandage on her leg, a win against the worlds current #1 player (who has 33 career WTA titles btw) is a colossal win. The 19-year-old Azarenka, who now lives in Scottsdale, Az, will be # 8 in the world when rankings are released Monday. After closing out 2007 at #30 and 2008 at #15, she is into uncharted waters here. From the looks of things today, this won’t be the biggest win of her career for long.

Serena was quick to give the credit to Azarenka after the match, and the 10-time Grand-Slam winner (with 8 more in dubs) deserves a lot of credit for gutting out two matches - the one against Venus where she was visibly limping, and todays final, where the leg was clearly an issue.

Thanks for Reading,

The Fan Child

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Go ahead and leave your thoughts. The Fan Child is all ears.